I'm often asked for tricks to help get motivated to workout. I wish there was a magic answer, but unfortunately, I haven't found the perfect motivator that works for everyone. However, I have had luck with these tactics:
- Tell a co-worker, partner or friend that you are going to workout the next morning, afternoon or evening. Knowing that someone will follow-up with you is a good motivator.
- Find a workout partner and set up a time/day to meet up at the gym or park. Don't make it a long session - start with 20 or 30 minutes. Also, make sure it is someone who will show up and hold you accountable to working out.
- Pack your workout bag or set out your clothes the night before. I had one client that went to extremes - she would sleep in her workout clothes!
- Schedule your workout time into your calendar. When I worked in a corporate environment, if I didn't block off time for the gym in my calendar, it would get filled up with meetings or other activities.
- Tell yourself that you will try it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, if you are completely miserable and hating it, then you can stop. I use this tactic more often than I would like to admit. Most of the time, I'm well into my workout once that 10-minute mark hits; however, I have stopped before. And, that's ok.